Engineering Design Guidelines
The Operators, Maintenance and Engineers Technical Toolbox
The Technical Engineering Fact Book
Process Engineering Design
Process Engineering Industry Practices
Kolmetz.Com has developed Engineering Design Guidelines, Project Engineering Standards and Typical Operating Manuals to assist design engineers, operations and maintenance personnel in designing many of the equipment types in plant unit operations.
Engineering Design Guidelines are typically a collection of multiple industry references which need to be reviewed by an operations personnel or design engineer when designing or specifying a piece of equipment such as a control valve, relief valve or heat exchanger.
The references at times can almost seem to contradicted each other. There is a vast amount of engineering hours spent each year in reviewing these industry references and very often no good recommendation is developed from the reference review.
To help simplify this process, we have reviewed the industry references and have developed guidelines for engineers to do Preliminary Designs and Process Specification Sheets. The final design must always be guaranteed for the service selected by the manufacturing vendor, but these guidelines will greatly reduce the amount of up front engineering hours that are required to develop the final design. The guidelines are a training tool for young engineers or a resource for engineers with experience.
There are some very low cost guidelines and programs, sometimes even free, provided by the equipment vendors. Let the buyer beware, many times these guidelines and programs tend to pick their brand as the best choice - good for the vendor, maybe not so good for the buyer.
Each Engineering Design Guideline has six parts.
A. Introduction - an introduction which has an overview of each application - 2 to 6 pages.
B. Definitions - a list of definitions used in the industry and these guidelines - 1 to 2 pages.
C. Theory - the engineering fundamentals and principals that are used to design the particular piece of equipment - these are all developed from first principles - 5 to 20 pages.
D. Application - how the engineering fundamentals and principals are applied in the field, with an example of the design of the equipment - 5 to 20 pages.
E. Process Specification Sheet - for the designed equipment example a typical process data sheet is derived - 1 to 2 pages.
F. Design Sizing Calculation Software Excel Spread Sheet - for the designed equipment examples a calculation spread sheet will be provided - an excel file with multiple work sheets.
The introduction to each Engineering Design Guideline can be reviewed on the link below. Please contact us for ordering information and which guidelines are developed and available. My hope is that these guidelines can one day be published in a technical book.
Current Engineering Design Guidelines
3. Engineering Design Guidelines for Hydraulic Surge Calculations
Compressor Design Sizing Excel Spreadsheet
Separation Vessel Design Sizing Excel Spreadsheet
Cooling Tower Design Sizing Spreadsheet
18. Engineering Design Guidelines for Membrane Selection and Sizing
21. Engineering Design Guidelines for Reboiler Selection and Sizing
Specialty Applications Groups
33. Engineering Design Guidelines for a Refinery Crude Tower Selection and Sizing.
34. Engineering Design Guidelines for a Refinery Vacuum Tower Selection and Sizing.
35. Engineering Design Guidelines for an Ethylene Plant Quench Oil Tower Selection and Sizing.
36. Engineering Design Guidelines for an Ethylene Plant Quench Water Tower Selection and Sizing.
39. Engineering Design Guidelines for Refinery Furnaces
43. Engineering Design Guidelines for Dehydration Systems (Mole Sieves)
45. Engineering Design Guidelines for Reactor Systems
48. Engineering Design Guidelines for LPG Units
49. Engineering Design Guidelines for LNG Units
50. Engineering Design Guidelines for Slug Catcher Units
For any questions
about the website, please contact
Distillation Column Design, Distillation Column Project Management, Distillation Column Packing, Distillation Column Trays, Distillation Column Flooding, Distillation Process